Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First Trip - Gorlitz - 25/10/2008

Our employer have been kind enough to organise several trips for the Malaysians in Germany. Having bitterly missed the Leipzig tour due to shift-obligations, we hopped on the opportunity to join the trip to Gorlitz.

The journey took us around 3 and a half hours from the bus terminal next to the Leipzig Hauptbahnhof. The bus was full with eager Malaysian troops ready to march into an unknown territory. I have to say that the journey was extremely long and boring. There were nothing much to see along the way, except for occasional windmill fields along the road. Windmills have never failed to capture my admiration.

Gorlitz is located on the borders between Germany and Poland. Located opposite the Polish town Zgorzelec, across Lusatian Neisse River, I would have to say that it is a dead city. Deep with interesting historical facts and amazing old structures though. I have also learned that the German football player, Michael Ballack comes from this small town. Whoopie!! :D

We come, we see, and we SHOOT!! We're just a bunch of eager Malaysian posers... :)

I could have kicked myself for not paying attention at all towards our tour guide as she busily explained to us about the history regarding the buildings around us. Therefore, I have only photos to share, without much background knowledge of them.. :(

Apparently hundreds of years ago, this area used to be a very busy trading ground for the locals. These days they serve as parking spots for the Gorlitz folks.

Beautiful constructions of the olden ages.

A friendly bus driver in the neighbourhood waving at me... Check out how ancient the bus is..

My buddy Lee and me with some nice structures around us..

Ladies of the company posing in St. Peter's Church..

Breathtaking pillars inside of the church, with intricate details crawling up to the ceilings.. Did not take too many shots in the church though, as I felt a little uneasy after being told that there was an old lady in black observing me.... (Maybe she was checking me out, hahahaha!!)

As you could see in this photo, behind me would be Poland's land. That is the Lusatian Neisse River separating these two countries..

The manufacturing team. L-R: Hizzat, Looi (our direct boss), Fang Fang, Daniel and Lingam.

Us, standing on the borders of Germany-Poland..

A sweet little cafe along the river... It's located along Germany's river banks..

Me, standing right in the middle of the border, with the grand view of the St. Peter's Church in the background..

Blending into the historical city..

Reminds me of things that we normally see in Jonker Street, Melaka..

We also managed to see a skilled glass maker in action. He uses the traditional blowing method to form beautiful shapes of glasses in his little store..

An interesting monument in the Gorlitz 'newer' city... Don't know what it represents, but it is nice..

Just a little evidence of being in Gorlitz. I had to strike a typical 'lepak' pose for it.. :D

Me, in front of another eatery... I guess it was closed at that time...

I guess that's all for now. Not very informative. Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos. It was a long journey to Gorlitz, but it was worth spending time there. And hey, I've WALKED into POLAND!! I bet not many people could say that and prove it.. :D

Will post again soon. Take care..

1 comment:

  1. spectacular architecture! saw lots of fantastic photos in ur friends' album in FB, too :)

    ReplyDelete