Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A 25-Hour Travel

I flew off from KLIA on 9/10/2008 at about 9.15pm, together with another 14 persons reporting to Q-Cells AG in Thalheim. The destination was Leipzig, Germany. The flight was routed with 2 transits in between KLIA and Leipzig. I flew into Leipzig through Lufthansa.

We stopped at the first transit point; Bangkok, and it took them 2 hours in between refueling and picking up more passengers, mainly Europeans. They did not allow us to go down from the airplane. All of us who travelled from KLIA had to go through excruciating heat as they shut off the air conditioning in the cabin. As more and more people were in the plane, I felt sweat breaking out and I had to take off my Adidas sweater I was wearing. Mat-Salleh walked in looking tanned and some carrying with them weird huge rattan souveniors from Thailand. Some walked in alone, and I thought to myself, "hmmm.. he must be a pedophile...." Hehehe

After Bangkok, our flight headed for Frankfurt, whereby the journey took God-knows how many hours. 17 hours I guess. During the flight, I felt at certain time an extreme degree of uneasiness, discomfort, stiffening muscles and joints. Watched a pre-recorded Animal Planet show on the little TV in between the cabin lanes, and listened to 1 channel that played old-school 80s English pop songs which kept repeating after the sequence ended. The rest of the song channels played some weird, gypsy sounding German songs, German opera singers, and some really weird German classics (I guess)..

Throughout the journey, it appeared dark in the sky. I couldn't help it but to walk around a little in the plane a few times, peeking out off the window panes on seats meant for the air stewardess (I had to sit in the middle row), whenever she was not around. The view of the Earth at night was beautiful from the sky. I saw small city lights, orangy-yellow in colour and see how towns and streets were carefully planned.

I had to head myself to the loo just 20 minutes before we touched down in Frankfurt. Had some funky feelings in my tummy after 3 rounds of weird German servings in the plane. Well, shitting in mid-air was not that bad as I thought it would be. Just that the damn flush was simply too loud. No water in the flushes that I can see. I guess they must have used some super-strong vacuuming system to suck off all those nuggets and slurpees left behind.

We were stuck in Frankfurt for almost 4 hours waiting for the next plane to Leipzig. We arrived at about 6.40am German time (almost 1pm in Malaysia). With nothing much to do, most of us kept ourselves occupied by snapping some photos and also trying to figure out foreign sign boards around the airport.

Just half of us in the frame:

Some interesting views that I saw:
In Germany, recycling is highly appreciated and practiced. You can see recycling bins everywhere you go, at every corner of the street.


Subhi and me posing with a super sporty looking KIA car in Frankfurt airport.


There's quite a number of bicycles in the airport too. Bicycles are mostly used by airport personnel. I don't know who this old man is, but it was really something different to me to see people cycling in airports.

A part of the airport building being demolished for some reasons unknown to us...

A really interesting cloud formation. Wish I could edit this photo, but I can't for now due to some restrictions of software installations in my laptop.

And finally....
Me, taking a self-shot while waiting for the plane to Leipzig. This was taken next to our check in counter of Lufthansa, in Frankfurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment